Crain's New York Business provides news, information and connections on all facets of New York through the prism of business. Crain's is the leading source of information on the New York economy, the companies and industries that operate here, and connections between government and industry. Crain's publishes daily news coverage on crainsnewyork.com, weekly coverage in print, and three specialized online daily reports – Insider, Pulse and Real Estate Daily – providing scoops and inside information on politics, health care and real estate, respectively. Readers come to Crain's for in-depth coverage of the many industries that make up the fabric of New York's business community.
The Web Developer is responsible for designing, developing and implementing the online initiatives for Crain’s New York Business as defined by the business and editorial teams. The Web Developer, as part of the online group, is a cross-functional role which requires the ideal candidate to be highly adept at multi-tasking, re-prioritizing projects and successfully interfacing with non-technical team members from other departments (editorial, sales, marketing, audience development, events, etc.).
- Maintain, troubleshoot and/or enhance all aspects of crainsnewyork.com including its digital containers, content management system, e-mail distribution provider, ad server, video hosting provider, web analytics package, market data supplier, etc.
- Consult with internal business teams to define technical requirements and capabilities, produce technical requirement documents, establish user-workflows and provide project schedules to ensure successful and timely delivery of new online products.
- Implement online initiatives by employing all phases of the software development lifecycle (design, build, test and maintain).
- Integrate, manage and support relationships with 3rd party application providers (Brightcove, DataJoe, Bing etc.).
- Stay abreast of emerging technologies, relevant APIs, industry best practices and Web usability standards.
We are looking for a dynamic individual who can handle the technical responsibilities and collaborate with other departments to take Crain’s New York Business digital containers to the next level.
- Expert in HTML/CSS. Capable of quickly creating lightweight (table-less), intuitive, search engine optimized HTML and CSS templates.
- Working knowledge of version control software (Git).
- Working knowledge of object-oriented and server-side scripting languages (i.e. PHP, Ruby).
- Experience using PHP frameworks (i.e. Code Igniter, CakePHP, Laravel etc.)
- Experience using Nginx and or memecached and varnish.
- Proficient with Photoshop. Able to generate good quality wireframes, mock-ups, and web-compatible designs.
- Previous experience with template-based content management systems preferred.
- Previous experience with other social networking, video streaming, or e-mail vendors highly desirable.
- Knowledge of responsive design and progressive enhancement principles a plus
- Knowledge of mobile-first web development and web/native app development for iPhone, Android.
- Knowledge of audio and video encoding/editing a plus.
- Familiarity with Google Public Data Explorer, Basecamp, Litmus, Zendesk, and other cloud-based tools.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Access) a plus.
- Capable of learning quickly and possesses strong desire to keep up with the latest web technologies.
- Detail orientation; inventiveness; ingenuity; communicability; responsiveness.
Crain Communications Inc is one of the largest privately-owned business publishers in the U.S. with over 30 leading business, trade and consumer titles in North America and Europe. As an authoritative source of vital news and information to industry leaders and consumers worldwide, each of the company's newspapers, magazines and electronic news sites have become required reading in their respective sector of business and consumer market. Providing unmatched value and award-winning editorial excellence, the company is respected for its dependable journalism which readers have relied upon for over 90 years.
Crain Communications offers a competitive salary, a generous benefits package and a friendly work environment.
To apply for this position please visit our website at www.crain.com and search under the employment section.